Happy New Year! Its 2015, a year that to many of us in certain age groups see as such a futuristic year. Based on the movie, Back to the Future II we had some well documented exciting things to look forward to by now:
Things not happening on the regular:
- Self-fitting and self-drying jackets
- Jaws 19
- $40,000 to convert your car to a hovercraft
- In-wall fax machines – scanners are super slim but no paper inside the wall exists yet to allow for your incoming faxes. Good thing we moved towards texting. That said, if I ever lost my job over text I would be pretty pissed.
Things here or on the way!
- Bionic Implants – are advancing in multiple fields
- Power Laces – we’ve seen reports that Nike will be unveiling these this year.
- Video/Photo Drone – the USA Today Photo Drone model we saw has a number of contenders on today’s market.
- Spike from Griff’s gang has a Lady Gaga thing happening so her fashion might be seen as relevant by some
- Illuminated curbs do exist.
- We’ve got a ways to go to will get a Mr. Fusion but attempts are being made.
- Automated home control systems are very popular but no “lithium mode” exists yet
- Telephone glasses are on the market
- The Garden Center retracting fruit dispenser reminds me of a hydroponic situation which does exist in The Land and was showcased in Horizons. What might not exist today is in-ceiling refrigeration.
There is still a lot of wonder and imagination left in what the future holds for us. It looks very different from the “retro future” we came up with in the 80’s but it still exists. Here’s hoping that the folks at EPCOT can return some of the wonder that used to exist in Future World!